Includes roundtrip airfare Guatemala City – Flores/Mundo Maya, 2 days Tikal NP entrance fees, private bilingual guide, lodging in the heart of Tikal NP, all meals & ground transportation. We’ll throw in the howler monkeys for free…
Tikal National Park 2-Day Exploration
Tikal National Park, the crown jewel of Mayan archaeological sites, has been fascinating visitors for over 100 years with its stunning beauty and sheer grandeur as it rises out of the lush jungle of Guatemala’s Petén district. Tikal is the largest excavated archeological site on the American continent and is Guatemala’s most famous national park which comprises 222 square miles of jungle all around the ceremonial center. Although known for its rich cultural and archeological treasures, Tikal is also one of the country’s most pristine natural areas with towering tropical forests that are home to tapir, jaguar, crocodile, cougars, monkeys as well as a colorful assortment of birds.
Tikal flourished during the Maya Classic period of 200 to 900 AD and was the most important city-state in the Maya region, bouncing back from defeat by rivals Calakmul and Caracol and ruling a vast realm before suddenly falling into decline in the late 800s. At its height, the city of Tikal had a population estimated to be as large as 90,000.
Earthworks and other defense systems surrounded an area of some 120 sq km supplied by ingenious irrigation and agricultural systems which can still be seen today.
Today, Tikal National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is accessible via a short, 1-hour flight from Guatemala City followed by a 1-hour shuttle ride to the park. In short, Tikal is a must-see destination for anyone visiting Guatemala.
This trip gives you two days in Tikal National Park, including a half-day private guided tour of some of Tikal’s mightiest temples. It also includes an overnight in the heart of Tikal at Jungle Lodge, a beautiful property with comfortable rooms, great food, and a swimming pool surrounded by the Guatemalan rainforest.
Day 1 – Antigua to Tikal
- 3:30 AM: Private Shuttle from Antigua to Guatemala City Airport
- 5:45 AM: Flight from Guatemala City to Flores/Mundo Maya Airport
- 6:40 AM: Arrive Flores. Private shuttle to Tikal National Park
- 8:00 AM: Arrive Tikal National Park – Private tour of ruins that includes Complex Q, Main Plaza, 7 temples & Lost World (3 – 4 hours)
- 12:00 PM: Lunch at Jungle Lodge (included)
- 1:00 PM: Time to continue to explore Tikal or relax a hotel pool
- 6:00 PM: Tikal Park Closes
- 7:00 PM: Dinner (included)
- Overnight: Jungle Lodge, Tikal National Park – standard double room with private bath
Day 2 – Tikal to Antigua
- 6:00 AM: Tikal National Park opens – explore on your own
- 8:00 AM: Breakfast (included)
- 12:00 PM: Lunch (included)
- 2:00 PM: Depart Tikal National Park via private shuttle to Flores/Mundo Maya Airport
- 3:00 PM: Arrive Flores/Mundo Maya Airport
- 5:00 PM: Flight from Flores/Mundo Maya Airport to Guatemala City
- 6:00 PM: Arrive Guatemala City. Private shuttle to Antigua.
- 7:30 PM: Arrive Antigua